Executive Secretary's Office
Executive Secretary is the Chief Executive of the Commission. He is responsible for the execution of policy and the day to day running of the affairs of the Commission. The Executive Secretary is the Chairman of Commission’s Management Committee and also a Secretary to the Governing Board. He also served, as member representing the Commission on the Governing Boards of various Educational agencies such as Tertiary Education Trust fund (TETfund), Universal Basic Education ( UBEC), Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB),Teachers Registration Council (TRCN) etc.
The Office of the Executive Secretary is central to the Commission activities it is responsible for given policy directives to various Departments in the Commission.
Functions of the ES Office
- Advise the Federal Government through the Honourable Minister of Education and co-ordinate all aspects of teacher education falling outside the universities and polytechnics;
- Make recommendations on the national policy necessary for the full development of teacher education and the training of teachers;
- Provide leadership in laying down Minimum Standards for all programmes of teacher education and accredit their certificates and other academics award after obtaining thereof prior approval of the Honourable Minister of Education;
- Provide guidelines and setting out criteria for accreditation of all NCE awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- Provide guidelines for the setting up of new Colleges of Education and carrying out resource inspection visits to proposed Colleges of Education;
- Determine, after consultation with the National Manpower Board and other bodies it consider appropriate, the qualified teachers need of the country for the co-ordinated development of Colleges of Education and such plan shall includes:
i The general programme to be pursued by Colleges of Education in order to maximize the use of available facilities and avoid unnecessary duplication
While ensuring that they are adequate to the manpower needs of the country;
ii Make necessary recommendation to the Honourable Minister of Education for the establishment and location of new Colleges of Education as and when considered necessary;
iii Make recommendation to the Honourable Minister of Education for up-grading of any College of Education or de-recognition of any College of Education as a degree awarding institution;
- Inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of Colleges of Education to enable them met the objectives of producing the trained qualified teachers of the country;
Divisions in the Executive Secretary's Office
General Administration Division:
Duties of the Division include:
- Providing daily office and personnel supervision and administrative support to the Executive Secretary
- Preparing of memoranda, letters, briefs, reports and speeches for Executive Secretary
- Representing the Executive Secretary’s office on the Commission adhoc and standing Committees
- Collation reports from officers who represent the Commission on Colleges Governing Councils.
- Responsible for appraisal of Commission’s department’s performance on monthly basis.
Internal Audit Division: This is a continuous, independent management control and appraisal Division with the following broad functions:
- Preparation of Audit work plan.
- Preparation of Audit Programme.
- Audit monitoring of Federal Colleges of Education.
- Coordination the activities of Committee of Heads of Internal Audit
Directorates in Nigeria Colleges of Education.
- Carrying out Value for Money Audit.
- Carry out budget performance Audit.
- Carrying out financial Audit.
- Carrying out regulatory Audit.
- Monitoring compliance with Procurement Act.
- Monitoring compliance with management decisions.
- Monitoring compliance with Board decisions.
- Monitoring of Departmental activities for effective service delivery.
- Setting of standards and guidelines for the operations of Internal
Audit Directorates of FCEs.
- Auditing of statutory accounting records and books.
- Carrying out Prepayment Audit.
- Carrying out Post-Payment Audit.
- Preparation of Internal Audit Reports.
- Carrying out pre and post Audit reports discussions.
- Maintenance of Internal Audit statutory records.
||Copyright © 2009 NCCE, All rights reserved.